Shambaugh performed a utility study at KDP’s facility in Aspers, PA, which indicated their existing chilled water refrigeration system lacked sufficient capacity to cool the plant processes during certain portions of the year and periods of increased production.
To address this challenge, we engineered and installed a design-build solution that included construction of a machinery room expansion to house a new, water-cooled, centrifugal chiller package and cooling tower.
This expansion allowed for a majority of the existing chilled water load to be transitioned onto the new, more efficient, chiller package—helping to increase overall system efficiency.
We also worked with the existing equipment manufacturer to engineer a controls solution that would allow the new and existing machines to be sequenced together in a lead/lag control setup to achieve additional efficiencies.
This helps decrease the run time on the machines overall and provides a much more accurate and stable control of cooling temperatures than was previously available. This project delivered:
- Additional cooling capacity for the chilled water system
- More accurate temperature control
- Redundancy for cooling towers and chiller packages
- The ability to monitor and control the system from custom designed controls in the new building expansion
To expand the existing chilled water refrigeration system to provide adequate cooling for the current bottling processes at the plant.
Shambaugh engineered and installed a design-build solution that included construction of a machinery room expansion to house a new, water-cooled, centrifugal chiller package and cooling tower, including:
- 30-foot by 40-foot concrete masonry building expansion
- Supply and installation of a 400 TR Freon centrifugal chiller package
- Installation of a rooftop water cooling tower on the building expansion with cooling tower pumps and a fan on variable frequency drives
- Construction of a galvanized steel catwalk around the new cooling tower
- Prefabrication of piping assemblies to allow for a decreased amount of time on site
- Installation of electrical breakers and feed to the building expansion with hard conduit piped to devices
- Custom human-machine interface and control cabinet for control, sequencing, and trending of the chilled water system
- Startup, owner training, and support
KDP is a leading beverage company in North America.