Following Shambaugh's successful renovation/expansion of the DFA Portales, New Mexico dairy processing facility, DFA and Shambaugh further solidified their partnership with this fast-track Design-Build services project.
Shambaugh completed this project on the compressed construction project schedule. This included in-house multi-discipline engineering design services, “fast track” procurement of major mechanical, electrical and fire protection equipment, construction engineering and design, self performance of prefabrication and field installation to meet the construction schedule requirements, while working within an operating facility without interrupting production.
The project was completed on time and $1 million under budget with no unscheduled downtime.
The client’s goal was to expand overall plant milk processing throughput by approximately 40%. To meet the future production growth opportunities the additional plant capacity had to be in full operation with only a 10-month total project duration.
Project Highlights include:
- Addition of new building processing spaces to existing processing spaces
- Process design and integration of a parallel milk processing line within the plant including:
- Addition of 3 new raw receiving bays with continued application of the hybrid CIP and mix-proof technologies, minimizing raw milk tanker turn around times
- Expansion of raw and pasteurized storage capacity
- Installation of 2 new pasteurizing systems
- Capacity increase of the process water recovery systems
- Integration and upgrade of existing plant automation system and process controls
- Increase capacity of process waste handling systems
- Expansion of commercial refrigeration system capacity
- Installation of 2 new electrical services and power distribution systems
- Modification to existing plant utility infrastructure to accommodate the additional loads produced by the new processing system
DFA makes innovative cheese and dairy ingredients for the global food industry, specializing in the customization of powders, concentrates, seasonings, flavor enhancers and hard Italian cheeses. It was founded in 2000 as a partnership of Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. and Fonterra Cooperative Group, Limited.