A new, more efficient baking facility; reliable, professional Design-Build assistance; simplified single-source system installation; project completed ahead of schedule to permit early return on investment; 3-D modeling to reduce change orders and improve design quality; services self-performed for optimum quality control, as well as time and cost savings; expert component fabrication for greater quality control, timeliness, and site safety; advanced asset protection; more energy efficient and less costly lighting; reduced utility bills.
This Design-Build project was completed within the budget 45 days ahead of schedule.
The client wanted to build a new 100,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art baking facility in Horse Cave, NY.
Scope of Services
To achieve the client’s objective, Shambaugh self-performed Design-Build and construction services for all of the mechanical, electrical, ammonia refrigeration, fire protection, utility, tele-data, and security systems.
During the project, the company also applied its extensive 3-D modeling expertise. This modeling capability allowed the customer and the construction engineer to make a virtual “tour” of a facility to evaluate the systems’ installation, note potential collisions, improve plant and system ergonomics, and identify fabrication opportunities.
The project included installation of:
- 3,000 yards of high-pressure grout that was pumped into subsurface cavities to stabilize the building pad
- An 850-ton, two-stage ammonia refrigeration system
- A 10,000-square-foot product holding freezer
- 6,000 ampere, 480-volt main transformers
- A plant-wide compressed air system to support the dosing, makeup, proofing, baking, and packaging systems
- Equipment that blast freezes product down to -42°F
- A 45°F packaging room and loading dock
- 50 miles of wiring
- 10 miles of piping and conduit
- Fabrication of key components accelerated on-site construction and increased site safety, while enabling effective quality control and reducing costs
- In the process, Shambaugh & Son also helped cut the client’s energy costs. A new, energy-efficient 12,470-volt electrical service provides significant utility savings, and high-efficiency fluorescent luminaries deliver the same lighting level as more conventional products while consuming much less power.
Marzetti®, a leading specialty foods company, is the company behind many strong brands and outstanding products. Its Sister Schubert Division produces frozen dinner rolls for various food service customers.
This client’s criteria for a design-build contractor were very specific, including verifiable, award-winning credentials for designing and building innovative and efficient food processing facilities. Having just completed the client’s award-winning “U.S. Food Plant of the Year”, they again chose Shambaugh.