Dennis Whipple, DBIA
As Manager of Shambaugh’s electrical design-build group, Dennis estimates project costs, coordinates electrical design, develops project schedules, and is integrally involved in the management of the construction process as it unfolds. He oversees a team of Engineers, Designers, CAD Operators, Estimators, and Project Managers, focused on both design-build food processing and industrial facility projects.
Dennis regularly meets with customers, helping to ensure that installation and operations conform to strict standards and customer requirements. Backed by extensive experience in the field, Dennis has a strong working knowledge of electrical code and an understanding of how various installation methods can impact cost and schedule. His ability to perform conceptual design and estimating is a valued skill, contributing to our project delivery method.
Dennis has nearly 40 years of experience in the electrical industry. He began his career in the field as an electrician, advancing on to various roles that involved supervision, estimating, project management, operations management, and design-build management.
Dennis maintains his Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) Certification with the required continuing education. He obtained his Journeyman's license in 1984 and continues to maintain his Masters and Contractors License for the State of Michigan.
A sampling of his most impressive projects includes:
- 205,000-square-foot dairy plant which produces whole milk and ESL line. The design includes raw receiving, raw pasteurized storage, HTST with separation, blow molding and packaging.
- Major plant renovation to increase dairy volume for a large grocery retailer. The design included the addition of raw receiving, increased raw and pasteurized storage, added filling, CIP, and packaging systems.
- Design and construction of a 110,000-square-foot processing facility for the manufacturer of powdered milk. Plant construction and new design processes included receiving raw products, drying, blending, and packaging.
- Design and construction of a 500,000-square-foot food distribution facility. The project included a high-rise freezer with an automated storage and retrieval system; a large conveyor system for packaging, palletizing, and sorting; and a refrigerated storage warehouse.
- Design of a 200,000-square-foot bottled water facility. The project included purification, flavorings, bottling, packaging, and a large conveyor system for sorting and shipping. The entire facility required the utilization of stainless steel conduit and maintained a clean room type environment.
- Design and construction of a greenfield meat processing plant. The project included receiving, stunning, processing, chilling, and packaging equipment at the facility for production of frozen products.