Safeway, PHOENIX, AZ
Safeway needed to complete a wall-to-wall construction renovation and commissioning of their 120,000 sf ice cream production facility in Phoenix, Arizona.
Shambaugh & Son completed both engineering and construction services for this fast-track project in only six months. Working with Safeway’s team, Shambaugh & Son developed a comprehensive plan to create a facility that could meet the demanding production, quality standards, and budget set by Safeway. This team effort allowed construction engineers to move ahead with design and procurement activities, while simultaneously, field crews mobilized and began working in parallel to revitalize the dormant facility and infrastructure.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
- Implementation of Hoyer’s full line integration package
- New hardening room including Hoyer PolyTray
- Robotic palletizing
- Innovative food process/CIP system layout, application of mix-proof technology, equipment design, and advanced in-place cleaning concepts maximize production uptime.
- Efficient product transfer, line purge, and reclaim systems minimize loss
- Energy efficient designs reduce peak demand and sizing of major utilities
- Intuitive, user friendly process controls are easily adapted to changes in production demands
- Efficient material, people, and information flow provides speed without compromising safety
All Shambaugh divisions participated in the Design/Build construction engineering project which included substantial building demolition and reconstruction, new construction, the overhaul, repair, and/or replacement
of food process/CIP, process controls, as well as ammonia, refrigeration, water, steam, air, electrical, waste water, mechanical, and fire protection systems.
The highly automated plant produces a full range of bulk packaged ice cream and novelties for Safeway brand products. Coordination of all moving parts was imperative to this project. Building construction, major and specialty equipment vendors, service providers, and Safeway’s own internal suppliers all required a continuous stream of timely and accurate information on which to base critical decisions.